If you’re planning a bridal wedding, there are likely a million things running through your mind. From bridal bouquets and rings to catering and DJs, there are a lot of important items on your bridal to-do list. If you are not even sure where to start; you’ve come to the right place.
The most important thing when planning weddings is to stay organized. Make a comprehensive list and keep referring to it as all of the pieces come into place. Ideally, you should give yourself a year or more to plan a wedding, especially if you have a specific location in mind. Here is a helpful wedding checklist of things to do as you countdown to your big day.
First Things First
The ring is on and the engagement is official. Now for the fun part – planning the wedding! The very first things a bride and groom-to-be should do are:
- Pick a wedding date.
- Choose the ceremony and reception location.
- Select your wedding party.
1 Year Before the Wedding
This is the time to start brainstorming. Grab some bridal wedding magazines, start looking at designer bridal gowns, and get the ideas flowing. These items should be first on your bridal to-do list.
- Set a wedding budget.
- Start the guest list.
- Create a bridal wedding binder for all important information.
- Consider hiring a wedding planner.
- Decide on an officiant who performs weddings.
- Start collecting recommendations for photography, bridal florists and caterers.
6 to 9 Months Before the Wedding
At this point your wedding plans are taking shape. Now it’s time to roll up your bridal sleeves and get to work.
- Shop for a bridal wedding gown and bridesmaid dresses.
- Reserve the photographer, videographer, caterer, and entertainment.
- Reserve a block of hotel rooms if you have out-of-town guests.
- Register for wedding presents at three or four stores.
- Create a wedding website.
- Order wedding invitations.
- Start planning the honeymoon.
3 to 6 Months Before the Wedding
The big day is getting closer. Keep checking items off your bridal to-do list and start getting excited.
- Send save-the-date cards.
- Book location for rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Book a bridal florist.
- Order the cake.
- Buy bridal wedding shoes, bridal accessories and start dress fittings.
- Schedule bridal hair and makeup appointments.
- Meet with the DJ or band and choose your music. Select specific songs for events such as the first dance and cake cutting.
- Reserve the tuxes for the groom and his groomsmen.
- Order wedding favors and bridal party gifts.
- Purchase bride and groom wedding rings.
1 to 2 Months Before the Wedding
Time to put the finishing touches on your wedding plan. Everything should be scheduled, reserved and planned; you’re just wrapping up the final tasks.
- Send out the wedding invitations 6 to 8 weeks before the wedding.
- Mail rehearsal dinner invitations.
- Count RSVPs and follow up with people who have not responded.
- Finalize the catering menu and flowers.
- Get marriage license.
- Schedule last bridal dress fitting and make sure the skirt fits properly with shoes on.
- Make sure bridesmaids’ dresses are ready.
- Purchase bridesmaids’ gifts.
Week of the Wedding
Buckle up and take a deep breath. The week before the wedding will feel like it zooms by in a day, but thanks to your good planning everything will be organized and ready.
- Send a timeline and all contact info to the bridal party.
- Write checks for the vendors and put tips in envelopes.
- Delegate small wedding day tasks like bringing the bridal bouquet, getting the gifts or handing out tips.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
The Big Day
Now that you’ve planned your wedding day to perfection, just remember to pause every so often to enjoy one of the happiest days of your life.